Chief Engraver William Kneass created what we call today the Classic Head design which ran from 1834 to 1838. In 1834 Congress reduced the authorized weight of the various denominations through the Act of June 28, 1834. On August 2, 1834, the new standard went into effect. To readily distinguish the new coins from the old, modified designs were introduced. Gold supplies needed to be increased and many older coins were melted for the Classic Head, along with a variety of other sources which included gold found in Georgia, unfortunately this land was habited by Native Americans. Andrew Jackson an advocate of Indian Removal Act, with total disregard for the Supreme Court, moved these Native Tribes across the Mississippi to new reservations; this action was to become known as The Trail of Tears.
PCGS Cert #26063379
PCGS / NGC Population: 15/14 Higher: 11/12
CAC Population/Higher: 2/0
… Click Here to Continue